Sunday, November 20, 2011

AGEING AND GROWING OLDER

Well it finally happened. I have aged and gotten older. I noticed this strange phenomenon about two years ago. I was brushing my teeth one morning and noticed that the person whose teeth I was polishing was not the same as my previous thousands of brushings. This person had lines and wrinkles, grey hair, grey beard and hair growing out of his ears. What the Hell happened? Time, that's what happened. It sneaked up on me. That tight, rippled tummy of mine is a bit bigger and jiggles. It never did that when I was younger. My blonde curls are now completely grey. That thick mane of long curly locks is now sparse and receding. And yes, I get tired a little bit faster than I used to. What happened to that six foot six, two hundred and fifty pound giant of a man that my lovely wife felt so safe walking into a bar with. He grew old. That's me. I aged. I bet that every man will eventually have this epiphany. The good side of this is simply the fact that I like myself more now than I did when I was younger. This is a gift I give to myself.  Maturity makes you see the world in a much different light. I don't care if my hair is not as easy to manage. I don't dwell on the fact that I have a bit of a paunch. I may tire faster but I have learned to like the occasional nap. I endeaver to smile more as I journey through my life. It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown so I'm saving myself some energy. Burps and farts are more common now so I use them to propel me forward or to sit down. It's all in how you look at things. Life is good. That is why I have a smile on my face when my eyes open in the morning. It doesn't hurt to be waking up to a terrific, loving woman such as my wife, Karen. One night as she lay sleeping I gazed at her angelic face and noticed that she too has a few wrinkles and lines. I see these as roads that we have travelled and they have left their imprint on her as well. The roads we have journeyed were well worth the mark they have left on us and we would, without hesitation, do it all over again. Ah, that feels better. Had to get this of my chest. (Oh, that's another thing, GREY CHEST HAIR) I could go on and on.


Trivia:  Forty per cent of car theft victims admit they left their keys in the ignition. (That's what I call "bad car-ma.")


Did You Know?  Several species of Southeast Asian ants have exploding glands in their heads, allowing them to launch suicidal chemical attacks on their enemies. Kamikaze warfare by insects.

No comments:

Post a Comment